With age, there are so many changes towards health for us. Some of them are due to the diet we take and rest is natural. By 50 years, there is a tremendous change in how the body works and how the diet affects it too. Experts and doctors expect that women’s health transforms and they should adapt accordingly.
Dr. Jason Ewoldt conducted a research about diet and health of women. He states that eating right foods becomes more vital for women over 50 years. He is a famous wellness dietician at Mayo Clinic respectively. He concluded that women should include the following three essential nutrients after 50 years.
1. Calcium: By women become at risk of Osteoporosis which does happen for many as well. This disease requires much attention and if left unsolved, does much damage too. It is a fact that 1 in 3 women are at a risk of bone fracture by 50 years or over.
Then, as women’s age two significant changes take place too. One is less calcium absorption in the body and calcium intolerance that decreases benefits of calcium for them. So, it is advised to take 1200 milligrams of calcium daily by checking the nutrition facts label for each food products.
2. Protein: It is a reality that older women tend to exercise less and sit more. This leads to sarcopenia which causes loss of muscle mass. It becomes aggressive over the years and by 80 years, women lose as much as half of their skeletal muscle mass. So, eating adequate amounts of proteins will maintain the muscle mass surely.
Research has shown that healthy plant-based diets that exclude meat are best sources of proteins. Dr. Ewoldt recommends selecting from eggs to nuts, soy, diary, quinoa and seeds and beans. Then, the amount of proteins varies from person to person too. It depends on how much weight a woman has. Experts advise that women should have 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of weight only. Suppose a woman weighs 140 pounds, then 63 grams of protein once a day becomes necessary for her.
3. Vitamin B-12: Women when they age, tend to absorb less nutrients from their diet. One vital nutrient that gets less absorbed is Vitamin B-12 complex. This vitamin is essential for maintaining brain function and healthy red blood cells. The best sources to get Vitamin B-complex include lean meats, milk, fish, eggs, cereal and grains.
It’s better to look for more fortified foods as well. However, older people that eat different foods can find it tough to absorb Vitamin B complex too. The daily intake of this vitamin for women is 2.4 micrograms per day.
Tips to take Nutrients
- Whole foods should be included in the diet. This means focusing on fruits, veggies and wholes grains only.
- Drinking water even before you feel thirty. At older age, body senses the thirst changes well too. Before taking a meal, drink a glass of water.
- Create concrete meal plans that fulfill adequate intake of the nutrients. This means women can make a calendar and make an appointment towards it.